Underrepresented in Medicine Scholarship
North Florida Emergency Medicine Clerkship
UCF/HCA GME Consortium Gainesville
At the North Florida Regional EM Residency, we believe that having a diverse group of medical professionals who reflect the community leads to the best patient outcomes, and that we have a responsibility to combat the institutional racism within our society that has led to healthcare disparities for so many of our patients. To support this mission, we are offering a scholarship to underrepresented minorities to help offset the cost of rotating away from home. Examples of diversity would include but are certainly not limited to historically underrepresented ethnicities in medicine, those who may be socioeconomically or educationally disadvantaged, and any others whose backgrounds and/or experiences would bring diversity. The scholarship is available for both our main EM rotation and our EM/Ultrasound rotation.
- $2000 stipend in the form of reimbursement for travel, housing, food, or other potential rotation-related expenses during the externship month; How can we support you?
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year
- Students will have a Mentor assigned to ensure success during the rotation and interview season
- Practice interview and coaching sessions
- Guaranteed interview with our program
- Students will receive an eSLOE or ssSLOE highlighting the receipt of this competitive scholarship
- MS4, planning to pursue a career in emergency medicine
- In good academic standing with medical school and passed USMLE Step I or COMLEX I
- Successfully completed clerkships in internal medicine, pediatrics and surgery.
- Member of minority group traditionally underrepresented in medicine
- Interest in pursuing a career in Emergency Medicine and excelling at a community practice
- Demonstrated interest in promoting health equity, diversity in medicine and inclusion.
- Complete a rotation application through Clinical Nexus to any of the North Florida EM rotations for visiting students
- Please contact our amazing coordinator Kim Watkins ([email protected]). She will send you the application materials and help you along the way!
- Complete our short application form.
- Submit a CV
- Submit a recommendation letter from EM faculty member or mentor
- Submit a short personal essay (<500 words) about your goals, challenges or perspectives on diversity and inclusion in medical education or emergency medicine. We would love to get to know you and hear about your leadership goals, challenges you have faced as an underrepresented minority, the impact of current events on institutional racism and healthcare disparities, or any other particular topic you would like to share with us. We would also like to know why you want to rotate with us!
Please contact us with any questions! We can’t wait to meet you!
Kim Watkins, EM Residency Coordinator at [email protected]; 352-333-5168
Robyn Hoelle MD, EM Residency Program Director at [email protected]
Want to learn more NorthFloridaEM Residency? @northfloridaEM Instagram @northfloridaem Twitter