Medical Student Clerkship Overview
We have consistently been offering medical student clerkship opportunities at NFRMC since starting the residency. At least a fourth of our matched classes have been students who have rotated! That should be a ringing endorsement of the experience. We are excepting applications through Clinician Nexus. We accept applications from qualified MD and DO candidates from US medical schools. Students will be responsible for the assessment and management of their patients while working a dedicated resident and directly with the attending physician. This is an immersive experience including procedures. Regular attendance at weekly didactic and hands-on conferences, simulation sessions, EMS ride along sessions, and journal clubs is required. We write meaningful Emergency Medicine Standardized Letters of Evaluation (SLOEs) from our Educational Leadership Group. We also will be offering early virtual interviews and coaching for you to improve your interviewing skills! Basically, when you rotate with us we treat you like family – just like our residents!
**UPDATED CLERKSHIP INFORMATION CHANGES SECONDARY TO SARS-COV-2 PANDEMIC**
Everything about this year has been drastically different and we have adjusted our clerkship to meet the increased demand for meaningful EM rotations. We are following the Consensus Statement on the 2020-2021 Residency Application Process for US Medical Students Planning Careers in Emergency Medicine in the Main Residency Match. All our rotators will be supplied with PPE, masks, and other protective equipment as needed. Our conferences are mainly done through Zoom or small group simulation with PPE. (All our residents even have Envo N95 masks and UV sterilization!)
Emergency Medicine Clerkship Highlights:
- Orientation will include a resident lead tour and introduction followed by meeting the Clerkship Director for an introduction and Goals and Objectives
- Students will be attending and fully engaged in the didactic/simulation/FOAMEd schedule alongside the residents
- EMS experience includes: a suburban EMS ride-along, a rural ride-along, and opportunities for a flight day on the Helo if desired
- Students get to experience an Ultrasound shift with our Ultrasound Director
- Students have specialized Simulation Training with our Simulation Director
- Faculty run Medical Student Boot Camp sessions every Wednesday
- Rotators interested in matching in EM have unique opportunities for mentorship for navigating the match and an early (still virtual!) interview during the rotation. We will be invested in you and provide important feedback to make you successful in your future interviews
- Our Clerkship Director invests time and energy in getting to know you and creating a meaningful SLOE
- In-person exit interview at local brewery to round out the experience and provide a mentoring opportunity
To apply, please use Clinician Nexus. MD and DO students are welcome!
Resources for Students
Our Residents and students are always protected!
Please see the available resources here on the right for your rotation. As a commitment to you, we are 100% open about our approach to evaluations so you know what to expect. While the evaluations are blind to ensure a fair evaluation, our evaluation criteria are given to you here. Additionally, there are resources to help you prepare for your rotation in Gainesville.